With the large volume of passengers travelling by railways, there are higher possibilities of waiting for obtaining a confirmed train ticket. The Indian Railways network is one of the busiest among all the railway operators in the world. The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) provides the facility of Vikalp for all the train passengers with waitlisted tickets. The IRCTC Vikalp facility doesn’t provide a confirmed train ticket or berth to the passengers in the alternate train which is subject to the availability of train and berth.
Upon the confirmation of seat in alternate train, the cancellation charges will be applicable as per the berth/train status in the alternate train, IRCTC said. Under the Vikalp scheme of Indian Railways, passengers’ boarding and terminating station might change to the nearest cluster railway station.
The passengers opting for the IRCTC Vikalp scheme can be transferred to any alternate train departing between 30 minutes and 72 hours from the scheduled departure of the original train. The IRCTC Vikalp scheme is available at a later stage before charting through the booked ticket history link, if the option is not selected while booking a train ticket.
IRCTC Vikalp scheme 2019: Booking, cancellation, refund rules :-
- Can be implemented for passengers of all train types and classes which is applicable to all the passengers in the waiting list irrespective of their booking quota and concession. Under IRCTC Vikalp, a maximum of 7 trains can opt for Vikalp Scheme.
- According to the prescribed guidelines by the IRCTC, no extra charges will be taken from passenger or any refund will be provided for difference of fare between the original ticket and the ticket confirmed in alternate train.
- The passenger can be considered for shifting to a train leaving from any station amongst the cluster of stations defined by Railways based on the convenience of the passengers to a station serving the destination station on the same analogy, IRCTC said.
- Upon the successful seat allotment in the alternate trains, the name of passengers waitlisted in the previous train will not appear in the waitlisted chart of the original train. IRCTC issues a separate list of passengers which are transferred in alternate trains along with the confirmed and waitlisted charts.
- Passengers once provided alternate accommodation in alternate train will be treated as normal passengers in alternate train and will be eligible for upgradation and the waitlisted passengers of the original train will not be allowed to board the original train after the allotment in alternate accommodation.
- The passengers who have been allotted alternate accommodation can travel in the alternate train on the authority of original ERS/SMS. Also, the train list once selected under Vikalp scheme can be updated only once.
- As per Indian Railway, the passengers who have been provided alternate accommodation might get dropped/re-allotted in alternate train, in rare situations, due to the last minute changes in the composition of the alternate train at the time of chart preparation. IRCTC advises all the passengers, who have been provided alternate accommodation, should check PNR status also after preparation of charts of the alternate train for the confirmation of final status.
- Passengers opted for Vikalp willing to cancel the train tickets after being allotted a confirmed seat in alternate train will be treated as normal passengers and the cancellation rules will apply accordingly.
- Once a Vikalp opted passenger has been allotted alternate accommodation, journey modification will not be permitted, the passenger will have to cancel the ticket and book a fresh ticket for a modified journey if required…..Read more>>